Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Better Than I Deserve

Not ignoring pain, suffering, loss, etc.  BUT = point out the blessings.

How are you doing??
Materially - in top 10% or wealthiest people in the world
Physically - health, health services
Politically - freedoms in USA
Geographically - Southeast Oklahoma, your community
Relationally - marriage, family, friends, neighbors, community, church, etc.

Most will acknowledge - in spite of trials, pain & suffering going through,
I'm recognizing I have "more than I deserve"

NOW shift to Spiritual Blessings
ie:  undeserved and unearned favors that we receive 'in Christ"

Eph. 1:3-14
1 Pet. 1:3-5
2 Pet. 1:3

My list - "10 Spiritual Blessings" - (from God to Ed - related in 1st. person)

#1.  He chose me.  On one hand, there is much mystery about "election", however, this I know - HE CHOSE ME!!

#2.  He Wooed me - patiently, persistently pursued me. = Work of the Holy Spirit = ACT of Agape

#3.  He Received Me as I was, with a reluctant surrender - Example:  Hymn #307 - "Just As I Am" - many verses

#4.  He Saved Me  - Luke 19:10
    forgiving, cleansing, reconciliation, restoration - Eph. 2:4-10

These first four all past tense.

Now, shift to present tense.
#5.  He continues to Receive me. (not saved again)  - Heb. 4:15-16 - approach the throne with confidence to find grace in time of need.

#6.  He Keeps me. - Jude 24 & 25 - He's the only one who can.

#7.  He Grows Me.  He will not give up on you.  Indiscernible growth doesn't = no growth. - Phil. 1:6

Note:  Future blessings. - when this life ends - Heaven.
I'll receive:
#8,  Deliverance - from pain, suffering, doubts and fears, sinful tendencies, relational conflict, etc.

#9.  Justice - ie:  all things set right - all those things that are not right here will be righted there.

#10.  Satisfaction - contentment "Rest"

On one hand, these are future blessings.  On the other hand, I HAVE the Promise(s).,  Therefore, I currently  possess - hope, expectation, anticipation, confidence, comfort, etc.

This is NOT an exhaustive list, so clearly, I'm blessed "beyond what I deserve".

What about you?
Not to minimize your pain, problems, etc.
Rather in the midst of them to   1) recognize the blessings  and 2) thank the Blessor

IF you can't claim these spiritual blessings, Then you need to give serious consideration to the call of Christ on your life.

IF you can claim theses spiritual blessings, then you need to thank Him - Psalm 107:1-2

Give Thanks, not just be grateful!!!

No comments: