Sunday, May 3, 2015

The "I Am"s of Jesus

John 7:1 - stayed away from Judea (Jerusalem & surrounding area) - because Jews there wanted to kill Him.
Why such hostility?  Problem was not His miracles - they all recognized the miracles.  Problem = His Claims!!   

Claims of Jesus:   already seen in book of John to this point.
1)  God is my Father - in unique, special way
2)  I came from above - (and you folks are from below)
3)  God has sent me into the world - special ambassador, spokesperson for God
4)  I always (and only) do my Father's will - knows that will perfectly
5)  I can forgive sins - (claim to Deity)
6)  I have temple authority
7)  I am Lord of the Sabbath - very sacred to Jews
8)  I can grant life (deathlessness) - physical life and eternal life
9)  I will raise the dead  - general resurrection
10)  I will judge all men - God committed all judgment to Me
11)  If you believe Moses, you'll come to me.
       If you believe God, you'll come to me.
12)  If you don't believe in me, you'll die in your sins - John 8:23-24

Add to this the "I Am"s of John.

A.  John 6:35 - Bread of Life
B.  John 8:12 - Light of the world - 1st. thing God created
C.  John 10:7-9 - I am the gate for the sheep
D.  John 10:11 - I am the Good Shepherd
E.  John 11:23-26 - "I am the resurrection and the life"
F.  John 14:6 - I am the way, the truth, and the life.
G.  John 15:1-2, 5 - I am the Vine, you are the branches

Add:  John 8:54-59 - with Ex. 3:13-14 - expressing eternal existence, claim to Deity, I AM that I AM.
Stoning - reserved for severe crimes - one being blasphemy.  This claim qualified as blasphemy to the Jews.

Will examine these as we come to them.  Today, an intro and general overview of I AM claims:

The "I AM" claims are:

#1.  Direct claims - ie.  from lips of Jesus Himself - not disciples' or apostles' interpretation

#2.  Personal claims - Example:  not come to me and I'll show you the door, but I AM the door, the light, the way, etc.
Point:  this is more than religious belief.  It = personal relationship - not just understand, but experience
Point:  benefits Not just from His teaching, but from Him!

#3.  Very Exclusive claims - uses definite article.  Contrast:  a door with the door - classic verse:  John 14:6
Second sentence of this verse nails it down.

THEREFORE:
#4.  offensive claims (directly from the mouth of Jesus) - both then and now.
IF ... the message is offensive, THEN the messenger is offensive!!  (evangelism)  as followers we have no room for compromise.   The offense of the 21st. century has been the norm throughout most of previous 2000 years.

Also,
#5.  veiled claims - (contrast hidden claims) - veiled so that those who want to find the truth, will find it, and those who don't, won't.
Requires:  a)  Presence and activity of Holy Spirit - 1 Cor. 2:9-10
but also b) content of the gospel message - Rom. 10:14 - (bridge illustration, wordless book, Roman Road, etc.)

and,
#6.  powerful claims - Rom.1:16-17 - simple gospel = power of God for salvation for all

Question:
1)  Are these claims true?  - (Liar, Lunatic, Lord????)

2)  Will you (do you) accept them (stand, embrace)? - which is more than believe them.  It = believe HIM!!  (personal)   (trust them vs. Him)

3)  Will you share them???? (we are obligated) = Rom. 1:14

This is a very offensive time to share the gospel, but we are obligated to share it.

No comments: